Sunday 30 December 2012

End of Year Book Survey 2012

I participated in the End of Year Book Survey hosted by Jamie from the Perpetual Page-Turner (link will take you directly to the survey) last year and it was tons of fun. So here I am again!


And okay, yes, I am a cheater for most of these questions... you can't make me choose between my babies!

Best in Books 2012

1. Best Book You Read in 2012?

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. And maybe there were other books I read that I thought were "better" but this book just touched me so personally. It's so, so, so many things that I want in a book and I'm so glad that I read it! <3

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn't?

I had really high hopes for Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne and it was just okay for me. I was expecting high stakes and excitement and I ended up feeling the total opposite for the most part. I still think this one had so much potential... SIGH.
 
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?

I don't think I would have read Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein had it not been a Bookurious Blog It Forward novel and that would have been about the worst mistake of 2012. This book was PHENOMENAL. There are literally no words.

4. Book you recommended most to people in 2012?

Near the end of the year, that was probably Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. Before that, Storm by Brigid Kemmerer and the Bloodlines series were popular as well. I feel I should clarify though that "recommend" is less of me calmly suggesting and more of me begging on hands and knees for people to give them a shot haha.

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
 
This isn't really a series but I finally read Graceling by Kristin Cashore this year and I was in LOVE! I still haven't gotten to Fire and Bitterblue but I definitely plan to next year.

6. Favourite new authors you discovered in 2012?

I've only read 2 of Maggie Stiefvater's novels so far but The Scorpio Races was enough to secure her a spot on this list. Then there's also Kristin Cashore, Jennifer E. Smith and Jenny Han.
 
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

I'm so so glad that I stuck with Code Name Verity despite the fact that a good chunk of the beginning went right over my head. I don't normally read war novels or even just novels that are so technical and specific but THANK GOODNESS I did.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?

Last year was Divergent and this year is Insurgent... These books are SO ADDICTING. I can't put them down for a second. Storm/SparkHunting Lila and The Fault in Our Stars also did very good jobs of keeping me up at night. 

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
 
I'm already itching for re-reads of Cinder by Marissa Meyer, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead. I can't wait.

10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2012?

Everneath (Everneath, #1)

11. Most memorable character in 2012?

Can I have a tie of two characters from the same book? I thought Alina and the Darkling from Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo were both remarkable memorable for completely different reasons. With Alina, the growth and development was just so beautiful that I can't forget it and with the Darkling... I can't help but be intrigued! Ugh, he is disturbingly fascinating!
 
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

I think that one goes to The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. It was just so stunning <3

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

The Fault in Our Stars and Code Name Verity tie for this one. I couldn't stop thinking about either afterward and although special to me in different ways, they were both such emotional reads. My highest recommendation to you if you haven't read either of these.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?

I pre-ordered and stalked my mailbox for Bloodlines by Richelle Mead and then for some mind-boggling reason, I didn't read it until May 2012. I mean, I LOVE the Vampire Academy series and so to wait this long (for Adrian!) makes no sense. At least I'm caught up now! Caught up and just as tortured in my wait for The Indigo Spell as the rest of you....

15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?

"She overcame a moment of hesitation and glanced at Jared. All the lights in his crazy gray eyes were dancing. A shiver went through her, a ripple of his delight. She felt again the way she had at the Crying Pools and at her house, the thrill of sharing your secret soul and having someone think it was wonderful."
- Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

'"We're all right, you know," he says quietly. "You and me. Okay?" My chest aches, and I nod. "Nothing else is all right." His whisper tickles my cheek. "But we are."'
- Insurgent by Veronica Roth

'"Sage," he said. "What are you wearing?"
I sighed and stared down at the dress. "I know. It's red. Don't start. I'm tired of hearing about it."
"Funny," he said. "I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at it."
- The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

"It's like being in love, discovering your best friend."
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (and another one from here (you know which one) but I CAN'T. MY HEAAAAAAAAARRRRT! *endless sobbing*)

And I will stop myself now.

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read in 2012?

Shortest: A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan (187 pages) -- tiny but packed with awesome!
Longest: The Diviners by Libba Bray (592 pages) -- you monster. But SO GOOD.

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.)
The endings of Code Name Verity (or even the end of Part I) and Unspoken. I was DESTROYED after both of those.

18. Favourite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc.)

The crazy co-dependent relationship of Kami and Jared from Unspoken is fascinating. Not always healthy... but fascinating. And I can't help but love it. And then there was the best friendship ever in Code Name Verity <3 <3 <3 (wow, have I mentioned these 2 books before somewhere??)

19. Favourite Book You Read In 2012 From An Author You Read Previously

Still Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan! (and okay, I have linked it enough times LOL)

20. Best Book That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Hands down, the entrance of Brigid Kemmerer and her ridiculously fantastic novels into my life is thanks to Brodie and Sarah. They always have THE best recommendations. What would I do without you two?

Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012

1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2012?

Oh, there are so many good ones! I'm going to have to go with Sam from Realm of Fiction. Sam is a SUPERHUMAN! Her blog is always ready with amazing, insightful reviews for me to read and she's the sweetest. And then there's Mimi from Mimi Valentine who was like my soul sister, seriously. I miss you, Mimi! <3 OH, and Alex from Alexandra's Scribblings has some beautiful writing and I love talking to her about books... we have such similar taste, it's wonderful :)

2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2012?

Hmmmm... maybe my review of Spark by Brigid Kemmerer? I have to do more 5 Reasons to Read style reviews, I always have so much fun with them!

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

In terms of page views, it's hands-down the post I did on Why Fantasy Rocks. I also got a bunch of e-mails over that one from people looking for some fantasy recommendations. Yay fantasy!!

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else's blog?

Oh man. I KNOW that I've read some good ones but I never mark them down! I don't know if this counts or not but I thought Cassandra Clare's post on rape myths and rape culture was very well done. It's worth a read but beware of City of Lost Souls spoilers if that concerns you.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

The Ontario Blogger Meet-Up was just straight-up awesome.

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?

I don't think I have one particular moment but just those times where I'm interacting with other bloggers and gushing about everything under the sun... those are the best :)

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog?

Again, the Why Fantasy Rocks post!

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

Hahaha, all of them? <3 I was kind of surprised that the Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side giveaway post didn't get more attention but I guess it was an older release + Canadian only giveaway.

9. Best bookish discovery?

I've been thinking about this for the past ten years and I've still got nothing. SKIP.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I completed the Debut Author Challenge (yay!) but that's all. I'm still 5 books short for the YA Contemporary Challenge and I am so hopelessly behind on my GR goal that I don't really want to check.... Oh well. According to this survey, I only read like 3 books anyway, ha.

Looking Ahead...

1. One Book You Didn't Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. OMG guys. This was my #1 most anticipated of 2011 and I FAILED. Now that Ashley has generously given me a copy of it, I have no excuse!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?

Tadaaaaa!

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Blogging/Reading In 2013?

I want to do more book chatting with other bloggers. It's the best part of blogging for me and so why don't I do more of it? And okay, I want to read more too because this year was kind of a flop on the total number of books read. And one last thing: perhaps this is the year I will force convince my dad to read Harry Potter! It was happened for my mom and sister. FATHER, YOU ARE MINE.

***

Wow, I don't remember last year's survey taking so long but I'm at the finish line! Thanks so much to Jamie for hosting this. And thank YOU for reading! I dearly hope that I have not bored you to tears.

6 comments:

  1. Honestly, ALL of the books on your list are on my tbr or are some of my favorites of the year! I really, really need to read Code Name Verity, Unspoken and Bloodlines! They sounds amazing!
    Awesome, awesome list Sonia!
    Have a happy and healthy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your survey! I'm so glad you have to suffer for the indigo spell with me. Liz still hasnt read them, grrr. I'm also super chuffed still about how much you loved Unpoken and The Scorpio Races, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read Code Name Verity for a while now, and this post only makes me want to read it more. And I loved Delirium, but still haven't read Pandemonium either. Although it does mean we have to wait less time to finish the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am so glad you loved Code Name Verity - people are missing out if they skip it!!

    And I really need to hurry up and read Unspoken :D

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your survey answers, Sonia. I loved code name verity too and can't believe I nearly skipped it last summer. Happy new year xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unspoken (and I love the quote you included from it)! The Scorpio Races! Storm and Spark! You're so right Sonia. We are pretty much book soulmates, and I love it. :-D
    You know the weird thing about Maggie Stiefvater's books for me? I've read all seven of the seven she has out now, and five I am indifferent to (her Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy, and her Books of Faerie) and the other two (Scorpio and Raven Boys) I ADORE beyond all sensible words.
    IS SO WEIRD.

    Ahh, I've read that Cassandra Clare post, but I'd completely forgotten about it til you mentioned it again, and it was so... I'm not even sure of the right word, but powerful? So powerfully written.

    I want to marry Jared Lynburn. Or Sean Kendrick. Or Hunter Garrity. Or possibly all three of them. Sonia, I think we should start a harem of swoon-worthy fictional guys, and preside over it in fabulous style. <3

    ReplyDelete