Wednesday 22 August 2012

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Add to: Goodreads
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Format: Hardcover, 330 pages
Release Date: February 7, 2012

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

Witches, witches, witches! I think I had forgotten how much I adore this brand of fiction until recently when I read Born Wicked because it came as a (very pleasant) surprise when I realized how much I was enjoying reading about them! Not that it should be too much of a shock with Harry Potter and all, but I digress.
Cate and her sisters, motherless witches that are forced to hide their powers from everyone they know, were characters that I had no trouble sympathizing with. Jessica Spotswood conveys the deep longing to perform their magic and it’s very apparent that refraining from practicing it is taking a toll on the family. Cate in particular can just join my best friend list. Caring, protective and cautious, Cate just seemed destined for more. And yet, she focuses not on herself but on her younger sisters… Ahh, I was so impressed by her.
But Finn! Step aside YA bad boys, Finn Belastra is here to stay. I’ve said before that I like crying over a book and while that’s true, I’ve always meant it in the only way that I ever cry: because I’m upset. But in this book? Happy tears. Probably in combination with some sleep deprivation, I actually teared up at a scene in this book because I thought Finn was so sweet. I LOVE THIS MAN.
Anticipation and suspense are kept at a constant high and the surprise ending really threw me for a loop. All in all, I am definitely very, very, very excited to see where Jessica Spotswood will take the series in the next book. Can’t wait!
Cover Comments: I LOVE THIS COVER SO MUCH. The flowers and the colours and the angle and I am totally flailing all over the place. Book 2 Cover, don’t let me down! 
 
5 Royal Crowns!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh I'm definitely curious about Finn! Most of the reviews I have read for this book have been pretty mixed so it's great to hear some positive thoughts. I love witches too so I hope I can read this one day. Brilliant review, Sonia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books set in the late 1800s and the fact it contains witches makes it sound even better! I really want to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove witches! :P I have this one my TBR and can't wait to read it! Finn sounds so sweet and if you were impressed by Cate, that must mean she's pretty awesome. Great review! Must bump this one up my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree with your great review! I adored this book! Cate was such a strong character and Finn . . . wasn't he the sweetest thing on this earth? Sigh. We seriously need book 2 considering the cliffhanger we were left on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually teared up at a scene in this book because I thought Finn was so sweet. I LOVE THIS MAN. Awwwww! YOU ARE SO ADORABLE. CAN I STEAL YOU? *slips into bag* Ow, stop STRUGGLING. There's food in there, I promise!

    I AM SO HAPPY YOU LOVED THIS. Oh, Finn IS such a gentleman and I loved the sisters and... FEATHERS <33333333

    I'm so excited for book two. Witches are making a comeback! *raises fist to air* Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower I love your blog its so cute and classy! Fellow teen book blogger! YAAAY! Haha will you check out my blog sometimes? also I'm gonna follow you on tumblr and goodreads too :D x
    http://ebonyblacklines.blogspot.co.uk/
    @ebonyblacklines
    http://truebeauty-lieswithin.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete