Saturday 24 March 2012

Winter's Passage by Julie Kagawa

Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5)Winter's Passage by Julie Kagawa

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Online library loan
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: e-book, 59 pages
Release Date: June 1, 2010

Meghan Chase used to be an ordinary girl...until she discovered that she is really a faery princess. After escaping from the clutches of the deadly Iron fey, Meghan must follow through on her promise to return to the equally dangerous Winter Court with her forbidden love, Prince Ash. But first, Meghan has one request: that they visit Puck--Meghan's best friend and servant of her father, King Oberon--who was gravely injured defending Meghan from the Iron Fey.

Yet Meghan and Ash's detour does not go unnoticed. They have caught the attention of an ancient, powerful hunter--a foe that even Ash may not be able to defeat....
So, funny story. I actually did read this book when it first came out, contrary to what I had been thinking when I started reading it again a few days ago. It wasn't until I got to the end of the book and the "ancient, powerful hunter" was revealed that I went, "oh! I have read this!" Is that because this book is lame and forgettable?

A million times no.

I think it's probably just that I feel like ALL of Julie Kagawa's work is brilliant and engaging so I ignored the signs that everything was sounding a little too familiar. Winter's Passage is a brilliant edition to the Iron Fey series.

Since Winter's Passage is set between The Iron King and The Iron Daughter, I had to adjust to going backwards on Meghan's character from the completely awesome, scene-owning girl I had grown used to from The Iron Queen. Fortunately, Meghan was shown in mostly a good light and I loved the compassion and resilience she displayed.

Oh, Ash. As much as I love Puck, I'm glad that he wasn't in this novella because it means we got so much more time with the Ice Prince! It's heart-achingly clear from this read that Ash's feelings for Meghan are developing rapidly and watching them get closer was perfect and had me beaming on every page. I want to re-read this whole series!

Then, of course, there was Kagawa's signature adventure style. Winter's Passage plunges straight into an exciting, fast-paced chase back to Tir Na Nog (Fairyland!) and there isn't a moment of boredom. I loved the looming threat of the Hunter and when he was finally introduced, I was hanging on to every word. Talk about making the most of 59 pages!

A must-read for fans of The Iron Fey series.

Cover Comments: I love the wolf eyes! I didn't really understand it before reading but now that I have, it's perfect.

Wait! There's more!

I've literally JUST seen on Julie Kagawa's blog that this novella along with Summer's Crossing and a new novella (eeee!) entitled Iron's Prophecy PLUS some super special additional content - like the first chapter of the new Iron Fey book - will be published in print! This sure to be amazing anthology will be called The Iron Legends and will be out from Harlequin Teen on August 28th.

EXCITED? I am.

5 comments:

  1. JULIE KAGAWA! <3

    Oh my gosh, I loved this novella so much too! You know you have an awesome author when they could put so much awesomeness into so little words! x) Reading your review makes me want to re-red this whole series! And YAY for a fellow Team Ash shipper! As much as I'd like to have Puck as my prankster BFF too, Ash will always top him! ;) <3

    And I had no idea about The Iron Legends!!! My mind is blow. My wallet is about to be empty. I am going to buy it so it can have it on my shelf next to all of Julie's other beautiful books! I'm so excited for this book too! :D

    I'm writing this comment like mad right now because it's five minutes to 1 AM here (and that's when my stepdad set my internet to cut off LOL) but I saw your review for this and just had to say this before I'm forced to go to bed (*cough* read under the covers):

    AMAZING REVIEW, SONIA! <3 :) Why you so awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you didn't realise you'd read this until right at the end? Oh you are adorable *pinches cheek* :D

    Eeeee, lotsa Ash?! I adore Puck too, but... I won't deny I love me some Ash-only time. And seriously, Julie owns the action-adventure storytelling, there's ALWAYS something waiting around the corner, I don't know how she does it time and time again.

    YAY!!! I need The Iron Legends! That is if I can wait that long to read Winter's Passage after your amazing review. We shall see :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha you saw the Iron Legends bit too, huh? I nearly fainted. And it's releasing right around my birthday! I'm so going to need a copy for two reasons, the first being I haven't read Winter's Passage yet, and, second, my collection of her books is going to get lonely without it. I'm happy to hear that this one was so engrossing for you because I seriously don't know why I haven't already read this!

    Have an amazing reading week!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh, SONIA! AMAZING REVIEW! MORE! MORE! MOOOOOOOAR!
    I *JUST* got give The Iron King by my uhmayzing BFF, and I'm super excited to start reading the series! WHHHHHEEEEEEEE!
    Now I'm ESPECIALLY excited... I mean, when you post such wonderful reviews about such amazing writing and it's ONLY A SHORT STORY? *DIES*
    FAB review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have said all that needs to be said. I think this was a greaa novella connecting TIK and TID! Loved it. As for The Iron Legends...SO EXCITED! :D

    ReplyDelete