Thursday 21 July 2011

Summer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa

Summer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa

Source: eBook download (free)
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: eBook
Pages: 72

A Midsummer's Nightmare? Robin Goodfellow. Puck. Summer Court prankster, King Oberon's right hand, bane of many a faery queen's existence—and secret friend to Prince Ash of the Winter Court. Until one girl's death came between them, and another girl stole both their hearts.

Now Ash has granted one favor too many and someone's come to collect, forcing the prince to a place he cannot go without Puck's help—into the heart of the Summer Court. And Puck faces the ultimate choice—betray Ash and possibly win the girl they both love, or help his former friend turned bitter enemy pull off a deception that no true faery prankster could possibly resist.

An ebook exclusive novella from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series.
Summer's Crossing is an excellent edition to the Iron Fey series with a return of some well-loved characters and the humour and adventure that made the novels what they are.

I thought it was wonderful getting inside Puck's head - we get a closer look at that playful, mischievous faery we (or at least I) all know and love but also start to see that there is more than originally meets the eye. I don't want to include any spoilers, so all I'm going to say is that I like Puck even more after reading Summer's Crossing and continue to think of him as an amazing friend.

While the novella is obviously focused more on Puck than Ash, the well-loved Winter prince is still present and lovely as always.

The adventure (a mini quest-esque adventure) was fun and exciting. It's a little less serious than some of the other journeys in the Iron Fey series but I think that's only to be expected when considering who is narrating the events. I will say that there were some surprises along the way for me and that my slight doubts were happily dismissed in the end.

Speaking as someone who recently finished reading The Iron Knight (!!!) I think that this novella does a nice job of setting up future events. A wonderful add-on to a marvellous series. 

Cover Comments: As with all others in the Iron Fey series, I love this cover. The green is perfect for Puck - a member of the Summer Court and all the detailing is just gorgeous. I wish I could see it irl!

8 comments:

  1. I think my love for Summer's Crossing has reached almost epic proportions as sometimes I feel like I enjoyed it more than I did some of the books. I just loved seeing everything from Puck's perspective. I wish there were more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've only read the iron king but i have all of the books in the series waiting for me on my shelf. and i can't wait to read the iron knight. fantastic review! :)

    thanks for stopping by our WoW. :)

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading this one right now!! I love Puck!! He's my absolute favorite! Thanks for the review!
    Courtney
    Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I adore Puck!! I've only read The Iron King so far and don't fully see the Ash appeal yet :P But I know that's my fault because I really need to hurry up and move along with the series. But I think I'd definitely enjoy this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaye: I'm sensing some Team Puck presence on my blog... LOL. I'm glad you liked it!

    Michelle: Oh, you HAVE to read the other books! I love this series :)

    Courtney: I love Puck too! :) Hope I didn't spoil anything for you.

    Brodie: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? I mean, um, maybe you'll like him more in the next books? Honestly, if you read Iron Queen and still aren't convinced, there will really be no helping you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the Iron Fey series yet, but after reading your review for this, I'll have to. I love the cover -- but then again, I'm a fan of almost anything featuring a raven. (Major Poe fan.) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one! It was awesome to see stuff from Puck's point of view, I love that hilarious prankster :P. And totally agree about the cover - the green is perfect for Puck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenna: I hope you do end up reading the series! I love Julie Kagawa's novels :)

    Liz: Puck <3 I love you - it's not your fault Ash... is Ash LOL.

    ReplyDelete