Sunday 24 April 2011

Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Source: Library
Publisher: Tor Teen (Macmillan)
ISBN: 978-0-7653-2808-3
Pages: 365

Frannie Cavanaugh has always been a bit of a loner. She's spent years keeping everyone at a distance, even her closest friends. That is, until Luc Cain enrolls in her school. He's hot, sarcastic, and dangerous - and Frannie can't seem to stay away.

What she doesn't know is that Luc is on a mission. Because Frannie isn't exactly ordinary. She possesses a skill so unique that the King of Hell himself has taken notice, and he's sent Luc to claim Frannie's soul. It should be easy. All he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come.

Unfortunately for Luc, Heaven has other plans, and he's just started making progress when the angel Gabriel shows up. Gabe will do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for, and his angelic charm might just be enough to keep Frannie on the right path.

It isn't long before Luc and Gabe find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie's soul. But if Luc fails to win her over, there will be Hell to pay... for all of them.

Is it just me or does the tagline alone make you want to read this novel?

Personal Demons has such a unique and fresh premise that really was delightful to read. The idea of high-ranking demons and angels coming down to Earth to fight over a human girl with super powers was just so interesting that it alone absorbed me into the story.

Something that I really enjoyed reading through was the banter between Luc and Gabe who had been rivals for centuries but got a new purpose to fight in the form of Frannie. There were a lot of great one-liners that had me laughing out loud and I really did come to like both of their characters. Small things that really stood out to me such as Frannie's sisters all having the same first name made nice extra touches and served in creating a more memorable novel.  

Frannie, the main character, surprised me. When I first started reading, I had a picture painted in my mind of a rebellious small-town girl that would easily be swayed by Luc and instantly become the damsel-in-distress. While it definitely does seem like that at times, Lisa Desrochers gives you other things to consider that ultimately make her a much more likeable character.

This novel functions through the use of two perspectives: Frannie and Luc. The point-of-view shifts were used well and it was nice to be able to escape into the mind of one when the other got too frustrating. I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed to learn Gabe wouldn't get a part in the sharing but I got over that quickly as I was swept up in the story.

As much as I liked Luc... Gabe was my favourite. Given the choice, I definitely would have gone for the angel. I'll retreat to my lonely corner of Gabriel supporters now and leave you all to reminisce/read this book.  

Overall, a very enjoyable read with an interesting storyline and strong characters. Nicely executed!

Cover Comments: ... I really dislike it. I'm sorry. The book was great and I have no problem with the characters shown, I just... don't like. It's weird. Sorry.

3 comments:

  1. I like your review. It's a great style to read and may have sparked interest in me reading the book. (Truth be told, the cover has kept me away.) Now I'm going to check out some others you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it was the first line that made me buy this book. And I loved the puns in all the chapter titles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sprunty - Thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it and I hope you enjoy the book. I know what you mean about the cover. I don't think I would have read this book if I hadn't seen other positive reviews around the blogosphere.

    Laura - Yes, the chapter titles were very amusing! Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete