Sunday 27 March 2011

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan


The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
ISBN:
978-1-4169-6379-0
Pages:
322
Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole - a charm that keeps her alive - and they want it badly enough to kill again.


Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase... and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is desperate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.


Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.
Okay, so obviously when I was going on about the lack of close sibling relationships in books, I just wasn't looking hard enough because The Demon's Lexicon just might contain my favourite so far. Nick and Alan, two polar opposites, are the best things in each other's lives and will do whatever it takes to secure the other's safety.

The book was just stunning from every angle. New surprises can be unearthed at any given moment, keeping your eyes fixed on the page as you race through the story to discover the well-concealed truths of the mystery.

Not only that, but I came to love both Nick and Alan as well as Mae and Jamie. With dangerous Nick, kind and sensitive Alan, fearless Mae and witty Jamie, there is never a dull moment. Mae is a symbol of strength and I'm eager to begin reading from the perspective of such a strong heroine in the sequel.

The shattering conclusion of The Demon's Lexicon brought the book to a screeching halt and I'm stoked to start the next one.

A truly beautiful book and a definite must-read!

Cover Comments: Um... it's Nick. How could I not be head over heels for the cover?

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book! One of my favourite series ever - you have got to read The Demon's Covenant, it was, in my opinion, even better than Lexicon. Lovely review, thank you! (Though I have to say - I much prefer the UK cover :P).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually read The Demon's Covenant now and I completely agree. My review was supposed to be posted today but it's... not here. Apparently my computer finds making me crazy amusing.

    I prefer the US cover for this one! I often prefer the UK one but this time, I'm going to have to go with our Nick :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete